Monday, July 26, 2010

Run Baby, Run

Chandler and I are training to run a 5k. Well, I've been training for a few weeks, and Chandler finally started last night. :) We plan to run the 5k at Prairie Arts in West Point, which is the Saturday before Labor Day, September 4th. It hasn't been the easiest thing to do, mainly because it's 480 degrees in Mississippi right now, and also because physical activity (other than chasing kids around) hasn't been on my radar in over a year. Yes, I'm one of those women who, when pregnant, eat as much as I can and don't move for 9 months. I mean, what other time in our lives can we get away with that, right? I always planned on being an active pregnant woman, but the whole 'trying to stay as still as possible so I don't puke' thing in the beginning kind of sets the precedent for the rest of the time. Ha! That, and I enjoy food and cokes and candy. It usually takes me at least the 9 months following pregnancy to lose the weight, but that's okay with me. Thank God for the 500 calories burned each day from nursing! After Charlee, I lost all the weight plus 10 pounds. I was working full time, though. I've gotta add a little something this time to help out, thus the 5k training. I started with an iPhone app I found ~ Couch to 5k in 9 weeks. It's pretty cool. While you're walking/running and listening to music, a voice comes on and tells you when to walk, run, or cool down. Tonight is week 3, day 2. Since he started a little later, Chandler will have to convert the program to "Couch to 5k in 6 weeks", but I have no doubt he'll be able to handle it. My reward for finishing the 5k will be to finally get a BOB jogging stroller. Since I don't already have a jogging stroller, I have to wait until kids are in bed and hubby is home to watch them before I can go run. It usually works out well because I'd much rather run when the sun is down and it's not nearly as hot. Last week, though, Chandler had to go out of town. Kinda puts a damper on the whole training thing. Luckily, I have quite possibly the best in-laws around who came to my rescue and stopped by after work to watch babies while I ran. Love them! :)

My RAOKs since I last posted have included: paying for the lady behind me in the McDonald's drive-thru one morning, and another gift card at Wal-Mart (I'm beginning to think I spend too much time at that place). This time, I gave the gift card to the cashier after I bought it and asked her to put it towards the lady in line behind me's order. This way, hopefully my RAOK will affect TWO people instead of just one. :) The cashier seemed touched by my act, and I never saw the lady in line's face because I tried to get out of there quickly. I don't know why, but I try to get away as fast as possible, almost like I'm doing something wrong! Ha! With the McDonald's lady, I couldn't get out of there before she noticed. Guess it's the whole two window thing. Before I could get my Cafe Mocha, the cashier was shouting, "She said Thank You!", out the window. I felt a little silly and like I needed to explain myself or something. I didn't, though. Just grabbed my drink and sped out of there. :) My drink, which I might add, that didn't have the usual whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I know that seems little, but it really makes the drink! I could've gotten mad about it, but that would've probably cancelled out my RAOK or something, right? Ha! I think it helped me to realize that you can do kind things all day long, and it may help you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but the purpose for doing kind things is to obey the greatest commandment of all ~ LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Period. Point Blank. Not, love one another because you'll get something out of it or because it's easy, but love one another because HE first loved you! It may not always be the easiest thing to do or the most rewarding, but it's what we are called to do. So, bring it on! I don't care if you're covered in whipped cream and chocolate or not. I'm gonna love you anyways because that's what I'm called to do. :P Easy enough, right? Yeah right! Praying everyday is a must because, let's face it, it's just plain harder to love some people! We can't do it alone, but Christ in us can! Praise the Lord!!!


Silly head....



I'll leave you with my yummy supper plans....Marie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast. No, I don't know Marie, but when looking for a good roast recipe one day, I happened upon this one at allrecipes.com. I've made it several times, and each time it has been YUMMO! It's easy, too. Chandler wanted me to add bell pepper this time, and I have to go run to the store to get carrots. Here it is before carrots and with added bell peppers.



Marie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Ingredients:
4 pounds chuck roast (I usually get a smaller one)
salt and pepper to taste
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3 carrots, chopped (I use baby carrots and don't chop)
1 onion, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use petite potatoes and don't peel them)
1 stalk celery (I leave this out bc we aren't celery fans)

Directions:
1. Take the chuck roast and season with salt and pepper (we add cajun seasoning) to taste. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat.
2. Place in the slow cooker and add the soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes, and celery.
3. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
4. Serve with some rice and ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. I need to figure out how to get behind you in line at McDonald's, girl hee hee!!! :P J/K but you know i LOOOOOVE those mocha's too...they make me SO happy. I liked your analogy about loving despite whip cream or no whip cream :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church is doing this 'You've Been Served' series lately. Preacher encourages us to do RAOK or just something to help someone out. It's all about the Good Samaritan. He also got us some nice cards printed up that say 'You've Been Served' on the front with a little message on the back about God and salvation. Might want to consider that too!

    ReplyDelete