Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Heat Wave......More like TSUNAMI!

Sheesh! I don't think I have to tell anyone anywhere remotely close to Meridian what I'm talking about.


I feel like every cast member of "A Time to Kill". You've seen it, right? Perfect adaptation of Mississippi life. Ridiculous southern drawls and sweat dripping from foreheads (and shirtless Matthew McConaughey) at all times of day and night. Did John Grisham forget to tell them we had air conditioners here? No ~ they probably were filming during a heat wave like the current one and everyone's air conditioner couldn't keep up, like ours at the present time. If you know me, you know what a terrible tragedy that is! Ha! Anything above 74 and I'm sweating. YUCK! Please, Fall, hurry up!


Along with Mississippi Summers come Mississippi critters. I've been scared to step out of my house for a week since seeing a HUGE snake in my driveway. I opened the garage, and POOF ~ there he went. Slithered away into the grass where he was never to be seen again. You may think that's wonderful, but not me. I'd much rather have him in my sight then not know where he's gonna pop up next! From my description, "It's BIG and BLACK and FAST!", Chandler informed me that it was probably a black runner. He then proceeded to tell me that they will chase you if you get close to them. LOVELY. I seriously hope he was kidding, but I'm too scared to find out otherwise. Ha! This snake was obviously the solution to my, "There are way too many lizards around my doors," problem. Haven't seen too many of those lately... What I have seen are two creepy looking caterpillar-esque things in my house. They are furry and have granddaddy long-leg type legs. I welcomed the Terminix man with open arms on Monday.

Even with all the "fun" I've experienced lately, I must tell you that I've been feeling really blessed to be back in Mississippi. A year ago, you would NOT have heard me say that. I was gung-ho Colorado bound when we ended up here, and I was not looking forward to being back. I'm finally (a year later) starting to come around and I've realized that God has put my family and me here for a purpose. That purpose just doesn't seem to involve living close to a Target, Lupe Tortilla, or Panera Bread right now. :) I pray that I can recognize God's will for me here and that I will, more importantly, OBEY His will. Isn't that the difficult part? I am so quick to say, "No, that CAN'T be what He wants me to do. I'll do THIS instead." Afterall, if we're doing something labeled "good" by society and our world, isn't that enough? Hmmmm ~ not so much, Jamie. God doesn't call us to do "good" things to feel happy with ourselves. And the world approving of ANYTHING we do should be questionable since we are not to be OF the world. I'm trying really hard not to find satisfaction and glory in myself for my RAOKs. Loving others shouldn't be meant to build ourselves up, but to build GOD up. It's ALL about HIM, not us. May all the glory be to HE who deserves it. Lord knows I don't deserve anything but punishment and persecution. What a wonderful feeling to know that someone took that punishment and persecution in my place..... I'll NEVER be able to do enough "good" to repay Him. That's not what it's about. I should, however, completely embrace His will for me and obey Him. He told me to love, so by golly, I'm gonna love! (Or try my best to, anyway.)

I had a WONDERFUL visit with a sweet friend today, and I am so glad I got to have a great conversation with her about the radical idea of pursuing the Gospel and not the American dream. I'll talk more about this and my thoughts on the book I'm finishing up, Radical, later. It was so wonderful to talk with someone who has the same guilts and struggles as me. I'll never be a perfect Christian. I'm going to screw up EVERY day, and I know that. The Love of Jesus Christ is in my life, though, and I want to try every day to show that love to everyone around me. Some days are more difficult than others. Particularly, really HOT days. Ha!

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3,4

WOW. That's all I've got to say about that. :)

Pooh Pie and BoBo are living up to their nicknames this week. Charlee, who we used to always call Pooh Pie, decided to go poo poo in her panties at our friends' house. Nice. BoBo scratched his little booger nose again. Guess it's time to cut the fingernails. I mean, it's been all of 4 days since I cut them last! Sheesh! Little stinkers. Love them, though! Isn't it so wonderful that God put people on this earth that are SO EASY for us to love! I think our children are gifts for us to practice God's love on. Hopefully it'll create the domino effect to help us love those who are a little more difficult to serve. ;)





4 comments:

  1. I've read Radical and listened to the sermon series too. I've also read several other books along that line...and this is part of what God used to lead me to take a leave of absence. I would LOVE to talk to you about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!! :-) We had a snake in our kiddie pool in the back yard!!! Saw it again the next day! Brian says the same thing... that it's a black racer. Still!! Yikes!

    Maybe we can get together some once school starts :) Let me know if you ever want to come to playgroup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jamie, I had SUCH a wonderful time too! I was so edified by the conversation and I wanted to send you an email last night to thank ya :). Thanks for being a woman of God---for trusting and obeying Him and being so sensitive to His Spirit...that spurred me on. We will have to continue the convo...I'm about to go hop in bed and snuggle up with Radical :P.

    It's funny b/c I saw this video right after you left...i'm so glad you said what you said about the nations.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIcgS5BEvM8&feature=player_embedded

    I'm still asking God to show me how to have balance...what does it look like...we'll have to share our notes later :P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. oh and can't wait to read more of your thoughts on the book. although, i used to have a blog and when someone would say something like that it would freak me out LOL~ but anyway, i do look forward to hearing more. Okay, off to read now! :P been at WM and out all day and need to prop my weary feet up! :P

    ReplyDelete