Wednesday, August 18, 2010

RIP Zucchini Plant......

:( Yep. I'm sad to report that the Zucchini plant bit the dust. Not sure why, but I had been noticing a ton of ants on it. I sprayed it down with insect spray, but I don't think I got it in time. There are still a few green sprouts on it, and a flower bloomed yesterday, so maybe, just maybe all of the rain lately will help it come back. I sure hope so, because I was beginning to enjoy the zucchini! I have gotten lots of okra, jalepeno peppers, and banana peppers, and last night I tried okra and actually liked it, too! I read somewhere at the beginning of this gardening process that it's good to involve kids in gardening because they become excited about eating things they have grown even if it is something they would never touch before. This seems to hold true for adults as well. :) I am quite picky, but have tried, and liked, zucchini and okra. 2 for 2.

We won't talk about the potty training today.....

Not sure if I've mentioned it before or not, but Barrett is quite the eater. He has never protested feedings and would probably eat all day if I let him. He has been getting very mad lately, though, when he sees us (especially Charlee) eat table foods. He could care less about his mush. He wants the good stuff! I was a lot more careful with Charlee when introducing table foods. She never acted interested in food like this kid, though. He tried his first french fry this past weekend. LOVED it. I'm pretty sure the majority of it ended up on the floor, but still. He had ice cream a few weeks ago. LOVED it as well. I only gave him a little bit because I wasn't sure how his little tummy would handle it. He got some kinda mad when I stopped giving it to him! We're gearing up for raising typical boy here. He's gonna eat us out of house and home! He had his baby dedication at church last weekend. It was very sweet! He and a couple of other boys in the church nursery are typical boys and are known as "the linebackers". Ha!

I made up RAOGL cards yesterday! They are business card size and I printed them on bright colored card stock. I also counted and rolled all of the change from our laundry room stash. I rolled $101.50, and left about $13 that wouldn't roll in the jar! Wow! Rolling coins is one of my absolute favorite things to do. I don't know why, but I love getting my hands filthy and guessing what the grand total will be. It's like therapy. $50 worth of quarters were in there, so I'll use that for my baggies that I'm going to put on vending machines. I assembled a handful of baggies today, so I'll let you know how it goes when I put them out.

iPhones are the bomb, in case you didn't know. If you don't have one, you are definitely missing out! I lost mine at the beginning of the summer for a few days and realized what a big part it played in my life. Sounds sad, but seriously, there are so many things I use it for that I don't think I could make it without it. Probably not a good thing to rely so much on a piece of technology, but oh well. I have over 1000 pictures on there now. That is what I was most sad about losing because I rarely backed my phone up to iTunes before I lost it. This has since changed. :) I really don't know how I ever got through middle of the night feedings with Charlee since I didn't have an iPhone. There's an app for EVERYTHING you can imagine. I have a Total Baby app that keeps up with all of Barrett's feedings ~ time, length of time, last side nursed, average feeding time per day, etc. You can also use it to track diaper changes, baths, and sleep, but I don't use it for that anymore. I also have the C25k app that is training me for my first 5k. (We also won't talk about that in this post! Let's just say I may not be running my first 5k in September.) There is a Run Keeper app that tracks how far I run, tells me my speed, etc. I check email on my phone, facebook, and blogs. The internet on an iPhone is identical to internet on your computer, with the exception of mobile websites. Another app I have is Words with Friends. It's a game similar to scrabble that you can play against friends who have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. I'm addicted to it, and pretty good if I say so myself. ;) The iPhone...It is pretty awesome, in case you didn't know. :)

I say all of this to lead you into my Radical Experiment plans. Let's be real. I'm a mother of two small children who is pretty frequently on my own since my husband travels a good bit. How on Earth would I have the time to devote to the Radical Experiment? The iPhone has been my answer. One of the 5 components to the Experiment is to read through the entire Bible in a year. I have a Bible app on my phone that allows me to choose whichever translation I would like. Through this app, I have set up a reading plan (I'm going through it chronologically, the order in which it happened) and the app tells me what verses to read each day and I can read them straight from the phone. Another of the 5 components is to pray for the world. The book tells about a specific website, operationworld.com, that tells you about a different country each day and its specific prayer and mission needs. I have this website bookmarked on my phone and look it up every day to read about the country I need to pray for that day.

There are a million other capabilities of an iPhone, but I think the point I'm trying to make is that it's pretty awesome and it is a very important aid in my Radical Experiment. I've also got the Big Brother spoiler network bookmarked so I can check and see what's happening inside the house each day. I have no patience and hate waiting for the next episode to find out what's going on. Ha!!!

Pray for the Zucchini..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment